SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 32
Thread: Bristol 32
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Bristol 32

Aspy:

I find it quite interesting to watch the Bristol 32 surface over and over as a boat about which shoppers inquire, here and at other BBs. It can''t be the ''numbers'' generated by the design. And it surely isn''t the accommodation for length. And never seems to be due to asking price, unless the boat is a derelict. The only conclusion I can reach is that it is quite simply one of the handsomest boats sold in larger numbers in that size during that era.

I''ve known a series of boats in the course of being at many marinas for extended periods which the owners essentially treat like car hobbyists do their favorite rebuilt custom or antique car. The boat is extraoridarily handsome, with many fittings, ports, metal work and canvas redone or improved on. They draw a loyal following at the docks from other slipholders, much like a special GA plane does when its hangar door is left open. Of course, the boats never really go anywhere, even for a daysail of any length. Perhaps unlike my plane analogy but in line with these other Dock Queens, these B32''s seem to be quite unsuitable for satisfying use away from the dock.

All of this to say that perhaps you want to have a smaller boat but with very ''classic'' lines that strikes a handsome appearance out on a mooring. (We don''t know what you really aspire to do with the boat, which is one reason these types of threads can be so unhelpful). But as a functional boat, it seems very limited in many departments.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook