SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hank on Sails w/ Roller Furling
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
When a boat has roller furling, is it possible to use hank on sails or are you pretty much stuck with the roller furling ? I've never used roller furling before so I know nothing about it - can it be removed easily ? Can it be removed in an emergency ? Once removed, can you use hank on sails ?
Hanked sails cannot be used with roller furling.
The drums on most furlers can be removed easily but not the headfoils. I believe on my Furlex system, I need to disconnect the forestay to remove the headfoil, leaving you with the traditional headstay. some systems may have an integral headstay.

Why all the questions?? Roller fulring systems are wonderful and worth all the money wise boat owner spend to have the pleasure of their use. If you buy a boat with one, use it...if you buy a boat without a system, buy a furler should high on your list. They present little risk, on most designs your fallback should be a hanked stormjib set on a removeable inner forestay.

If you want to race, just dump the furler drum and use the headfoil. It won't be long before you only see hanks in a maritime museum.