SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for other early 41' sloop classic owners

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mudbone1938 
#1 ·
I just bought a 41' 1969 morgan classic sloop and was just looking for some other owners to pick their brains about the boat, not much online about then other then they are good boats, lol.

-wantokex

#2 ·
Morgan 41 Classic

I bought mine same time as yours (Jan 24, 2008).
I have learned quite a bit as I am preparing the boat to start a circumnavigation in June 09.
I bumped into your message as I am searching for anybody having some knowledge of the rudder assembly of the boat. Mine steer as smoothly as an 18 wheelers with no power steering and I took her out of the water to try and fix the problem.

#3 ·
Hey,
Nice to hear from somebody else!!! Is it the centerboard model? Our boat is still down in PV mexico, we are bringing it up to san diego end of Oct at last to refit her. We pushed back our leave time to June 09 also, instead of rushing our weather window this year. Jess went down there last month an brought back all the paper work she found on the boat, including a huge pile of design paper work. I can have her dig through all the paper work and see if she can find anything on the on the rudder for you. If she does I can have her scan it in and send it to you?

-Wantok

ps
where are you at? leaving from the west coast or east coast?

#4 ·
I live in Norfolk, VA. My boat is the 41 Classic with a 3/4 length fixed keel. My email address is "brisegalets@mac.com".
I still have the owners manual for the boat but there are no drawings for the rudder assembly. I believe the problem I am having comes from a bushing or washer at the bottom of the rudder post worn out as it looks like if it had come down into the shoe by maybe 1/8 of an inch.
If you find anything helpful, I would be very happy with it.
Looking forward to hearing from you
Bernard Lefevre

#5 ·
what year is yours? there is the old "classic" like mine 1969 that are centerboard full keels, and the new "classic" that are from the around the 80's I think. I will get her to scan them in and email them to you if you pm me your email. if its a older one.

-Wantokex

#6 ·
Hi, I have a 1968 41" Morgan I am rebuilding. My rudder shoe is pretty well gone so I will make a new one in time. Also going to remake the steering assembly. I have lots of her original drawings. No center board in her and not sure if I will add one or not. I sailed her to my home in Jupiter FL from Georgetown Exuma's and she handled great considering how rough she was. I'm looking for othjer owners of the early 41 to exchange information with. MDaniel

#7 · (Edited)
Tuning up Papy Jovial

Mine is a Morgan 41 Classic built in 1988, purchased on Jan 24, 2008 in excellent shape.
I am upgrading and preparing her for a circumnavigation starting on May 15 next year, roughly from Norfolk, VA to Panama, Papeete, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Brazil, France and back to the US.
I have given her a new set of sails from North Sails, with a full batten mainsail and a 105 % genoa with a low clew. I also installed a rigid boom vang. I also installed a Monitor Windvane that I have not tried yet.
Inside, I have made many changes both to the furniture and to the electronics in order to prepare for long ocean crossing.
I don't know yet how she will perform. With the new main sail but the old genoa (100% and a high clew) she was doing 135 degrees on the ground between tacks, and almost 8 knots with the wind on the beam and 15 knots of wind.
My main worry is the steering which feels kind of stiff and I wonder if my expensive Monitor Windvane will be able to handle that stiffness even with the hydraulic piston of the Navico autopilot disconnected.
More details can be found on my blog papyjovial.blogspot.com
I would be happy for comments and suggestions.
Bernard Lefevre

#8 ·
Brisegalets, You certainly have an exciting voyage ahead! I believe your "classic" '88 is the Out Island "Classic" built by Catalina when they bought Morgan and put out a newer version without the keel contiguous with the rudder. 'love the boat! I have the 1973 Morgan ketch 413 that is more like yours than the Classic Morgan that was initiating the post. The 1969 classic Morgan is more like Carlie Morgan's "Paper Tiger" and those of a more competitive racing design. We are the cruising "trucks"! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.