SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hank on Sails w/ Roller Furling
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
Have a local sailmaker remove the hanks and sew on a luff tape. The luff tape fits in the groove on the furling unit's foil and is hoisted that way.
The problem that I have with this is that by the time you decide or know that you need to hoist storm sails, you probably already have three reefs in the main and 50% of the genoa furled away.

In order to hoist the storm jib on the furler, you first have to take the genoa down which means you have to completely unfurl it into a blasting wind, in a non-too-friendly sea, fold it or at best, open the forehatch with seawater swirling (read breaking) over the deck to stuff the sail down below . . . . you get the picture?

Not for me thanks - I'll go with the inner forestay. The main advantage of this is that you can have the storm sail on deck in a launching bag, hanked on, sheets connected, ready to deploy at any time. Dump the main, furl away the genoa, hoist the storm jib and in 60 seconds you're ready for anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook