Took me a while to figure out where to post this...
I have a 1965 Cape Cod Marlin. Not the most common of boats, although mine is hull #78 so they built a few. It's basically a modification of the Herreshoff Fish class, with an extended counter stern, or basically a big Bullseye. I just finished my second full season with the boat and thought I'd share some of the work I did on it, mostly the first year.
The boat was in generally good shape, the topsides had been repainted, the mast replaced, a bowsprit and roller furling added about 10 years ago. The lines, winches, mainsail and boom were very tired. I singlehand about 95% of the time so things have to work easily. The short list of what I did:
- Replaced primaries with Lewmar #16 self tailers
- New main boom set up for vang and reefing (unlike old boom)
- New mainsail with partial full battens (top two)
- Asymmetric spinnaker
- Repainted inside of cabin
- Repainted nonskid on cockpit sole and seats
- Removed ugly outboard bracket from transom and filled in holes
- Refinished cabin doors
- Replaced nearly all blocks and lines
- Replaced standing rigging
- Refinished tiller
For anyone who reads Sailing magazine, I wrote a story
about the refit that appeared in the Jan '08 issue. (Click on "story" to see pdf of article)
I'll post some pics in a minute....