Join Date: Jan 2004
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Advice refinishing teak and holly sole
I want to refinish the teak and holy sole in my Sweden 38 and I would like some advice. Some of the varnish has lifted and the teak has discolored due to minor water damage. The sole is a ½” plywood veneer in good condition. I have removed all the boards from the boat. This is what I was thinking of doing:
(1) Remove all varnish using a chemical stripper and plastic scraper.
(2) Then use a teak brighter (any recommendations) to remove some of the dark water stains from the teak.
(3) Sand the bare sole with an orbital sander (200-220 grit) and wipe down with mineral spirits.
(4) Coat the sole (top, sides and bottom) with a coat of clear epoxy (should I thin this – use penetrating epoxy etc).
(5) After removing the wax film (from to the epoxy) I then planned on putting 3-5 coats of polyurethane varnish on the surface and painting the underside (bilge side) of the veneer.
Any comments, recommendations, warnings?