SailNet Community - View Single Post - Missing Sailor Found Off BARNEGAT Inlet
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Missing Sailor Found Off BARNEGAT Inlet

Search for missing boater suspended in Barnegat Inlet
Gannett New Jersey • October 7, 2008

BARNEGAT —The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a missing sailer who apparently disappeared from his boat in Barnegat Inlet last night.

The search for Clint Vanorsdell, of Massachusetts, was suspended at 12:19 p.m., according to a statement from the Coast Guard. Members of the state police and local authorities assisted in the search, which began at about 6:10 p.m. Monday when the Coast Guard received a call reported that Vanorsdell's boat, the 40-foot Second Wind, had been found in the inlet with no one aboard.

The caller told authorities Vanorsdell was seen taking down the sails of the Second Wind before entering the inlet. Vanorsdell is believed to have been en route to the Bahamas from Connecticut, said Petty Officer Krystalynn Kneen, a spokeswoman for the Coast Guard.

A rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station Barnegat, a rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, a Coast Guard cutter crew from Cape May, members of the New Jersey State Police and local authorities were involved in the search.

Body Of Missing Mass. Sailor Found Off N.J.
BARNEGAT, N.J. (AP) ― The Coast Guard has recovered the body of a Massachusetts man who disappeared from his 40-foot sailboat in Barnegat Inlet off New Jersey.

Clint Vanorsdell of Hanover, Mass. was 64 years old.

He was the focus of a search since Monday night after his boat, Second Wind, was found in the inlet with no one aboard. A caller had told authorities Vanorsdell was seen taking down the vessel's sails.

Another boater found his body about five and a half miles south of the inlet on Tuesday evening.

BARNEGAT — An autopsy on the body of the man who apparently fell off
his sailboat near Barnegat Inlet is planned for Thursday.

The Coast Guard says another boater found Clint Vanorsdell's body about
five and a half miles south of the inlet Tuesday evening.

The 64-year-old Hanover, Mass., resident had disappeared from his 40-
foot sailboat.

Vanorsdell was the focus of a search since Monday night after his boat,
Second Wind, was found in the inlet with no one aboard. A caller had
told authorities Vanorsdell was last seen taking down the sails.

The Coast Guard believes Vanorsdell was sailing to the Bahamas from
Connecticut.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook