SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP!!! Boat Down!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004

MDDesperado is on a distinguished road
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

Worst boating news possible. Harbormaster called to say my 40 foot sailboat has sunk in an Annapolis-area creek.

I checked and she''s completely under, with only the mast showing.

The creek is frozen and the ice is probably a couple of inches thick (temps here have ranged from mid-teens to high-30s during the last 2-3 weeks, but most of the time have been in the mid- to high-20s.)

Not sure what caused the sinking. There are at least a half dozen other boats in the water moored nearby. The harbormaster and I will check it out tomorrow in the daylight; he''s concerned with leaking diesel fuel. Thirty gallon tank was filled.

Contacted insurance company -- Boat U.S.-- and they''ll get a claims adjuster on it right away.

I''ve got lots of questions, ranging from how quickly to raise her (asap, I would think), to repairing her. What things should I consider/watch out for/demand, etc.? What systems will have to be replaced? What can be fixed or repaired? What about the engine, an original Perkins? Electronics? Wiring? Will she be structually weakened?

What''s the first thing I should do? Next? After that????

I want to make sure that I''m not short-changed by the insurance company, and that she''s put back in top notch working condition. I assume thatt virtually all the costs will be covered by insurance. Is that right? The agreed upon hull value is about $1K less than I paid for her. What''s gonna be on my nickel?

I cannot imagine what caused this...I cannot imagine that something I did or didn''t do was the root cause, but I guess that''s always possible. If I have some/all culpability, how does that impact my insurance claim?

She''s an early 80s model, and I just bought her for a little more than $50K in late November. So I''m not 100 percent sure of all the sytems and ins and outs of the boat, though I''ve owned other sailboats for about 20 years, so I''m no newby to sailing. But have neverr had anything like this happen.
I haven''t even had a chance to sail her yet. In fact, just made my second payment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook