SailNet Community - View Single Post - 26S Pop Top Cover
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
I have a Mac 92S, I bought new. I also have a canvas "Pop-top" cover. I spend at least 2 weeks a year 'cruise/camping' on the boat. I have rigged the pop-top cover once. Since then it has lived in the fore-peak in a sowage bag. (a real NON-essential).

I think this model Mac is the best one for my situation. I live in the Midwest, SAIL midwest lakes. The 1992 S wins because she is a good SAILOR, the swing centerboard has been in several "unplanned encounters with the bottom", it kicks up with no damage, except to ones honor.

Here are some things to consider: I replaced the foam rubber seal on the Pop-top with a rubber seal from the local RV Store (one they use for tent campers). I replaced the standard rudder with one from IDA sailor (fixes a major flaw in the design, major weather helm). Take a close look at the trailer bunks, they most likely will need to be replaced. Also look at the trailer brakes, mine have 'frozen' twice and burnt out the associated bearings.
Best of luck, if you make the purchase, let us know and how you like sailing her.

Ed Warren
Lady Warren (1992 Mac 26S)
"Near Omaha"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook