SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP!!! Boat Down!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

I agree with Bermuda.

You expressed a concern about "fault." When I was a newbie, and nearly destroyed my new outboard motor through my own stupidity, the insurance adjuster assured me that insurance protects us from our own fault as much as it does against other peoples'' fault.

When there is a total loss, auto insurance carriers are now paying an additional amount to cover the cost of sales tax that you will have to pay on a replacement auto. You should ask for that, and I suggest you also ask that they pay the cost of a survey on the replacement boat. I don''t know whether boat insurers are paying costs of that sort, but they should, because you wouldn''t have to pay for those costs again, if not for the accidental loss.

Some people have had bad experiences in dealing with insurance companies. They have always been reasonable and business-like when I have had claims with them. If you think they are being unreasonable, there are companies that help claimants deal with insurance companies, and you can always consult with an attorney.

If there is anything you don''t understand about any proposed settlement, don''t hesitate to ask your insurance adjuster to explain it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook