SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailing schools-vs-seat of your pants learning to sail
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004

tybeefolk is on a distinguished road
sailing schools-vs-seat of your pants learning to sail

you know i don''t believe either of you are old enough to be my dad; kinda, sorta, wish i was young, so i could tag along and learn sailing from you.8^) i''ve had a very similar experience in my boating years, but all of it on powerboats and motor yachts. i grew up in a family of power boaters, starting small with a flat bottom skiff (the kids boat) and my dads
16/18''run-a-bout, growing larger 25''bertram, & larger 40''buddy davis designed fisher, and even larger, then smaller, smaller. i was the youngest onboard and therefore the one given the worst jobs. i learned to CLEAN, and SHINE everything that needed cleaning, polishing or shining. oddly enough, these early years didn''t destroy or drive me away from boating. the first paying job i ever had was working at the marina where our family boats were kept. during early summer mornings i would ride my bike to the marina, spend the day doing whatever needed to be done, washing the bottoms of boats and helping guide ''Bill'' the tractor driver to the proper garage. i think my dad got me the job so i''d stay out of his hair, i don''t remember applying for the job. i guess once exposed you never can get away from it. we both (pam&i) have all of the boating experience we need to be qualified boaters, we are now planning to do it with much less odor, on much less fuel and not hearing the rumble of big diesels. all this to say; thank you for being here for us and those of us with even less water experiences. your knowlege is experience based and there is no better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook