SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Introduction
Thread: My Introduction
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008

Popeye77 is on a distinguished road
My Introduction

I'm returning after some time away to sailing. I learned to sail on an old chrysler dinghy sailor, then had a catalina 24 and catalina 27. We had some major life changes smack us in the face and had to leave our delta paradise. We lost our oldest daughter in 1997 and then I was transfered across country. It was "go" or give up the years I had invested in my career. Now, I'm finally nearing the end of that career, or at least close enough to get the house in order.
My wife and I have talked about living aboard for years, and now that I'm closing in on retirement, the next few years, we're getting serious about our plans.
We're doing a lot of research and are leaning towards a 32 to 36 foot boat. Sure, we'd love a 50+ footer, but then we'd have to pay the 50+ foot slip fees, and we do have a budget to stick too. Although the size of the boat is not necesarrily proportional to the maintenance cost it is a factor.
We spent our sailing days in the San Francisco bay and Sacramento Delta. We're hoping to eventually head out the gate. Before that day we want to get the ASA certifications and experience with "our" boat. We're adventurous, but I'd like to think we're not reckless.
That's all I have for now.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook