SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP!!! Boat Down!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004

MDDesperado is on a distinguished road
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

I traveled on a state-owned ice-breaker out to the mooring field on Friday morning and confirmed that it was my boat.

The hold-up now in getting her up is the guy with the barge and crane will not attempt recovery until Monday at the earliest. I''m told he makes no more for emergencies or bad weather, so he''s not interested in doing anything on the weekends or in bad weather.

The adjuster on Friday told me that he''s pretty sure she''ll be a total loss. He said that if a boat goes down in the summer and they get her back up within about a day, they save about 8 out of 10. He says they get them on land, open them up, have professionals work on cleaning and drying them out and if the engine snaps back, they''ll often opt to repair a boat.

But that''s not the case with mine. She''ll be down at least four days, and once she''s back on land, the cold and possibly wet weather makes the likelihood of saving her pretty slim.

Of course, the insurance company is going to look at what''s the cheapest way out...and they can offset a settlement to me with whatever they can sell her for as salvage.

The entire episode has felt like a heavy kick in my gut. It''s as if a beloved family member is in serious trouble and I''m unable to help.

We develop such strong emotional ties to our boats...perhaps it''s because they''re at the centerpiece of many fond memories and good times...perhaps it''s because we know they''re a safeharbor that can protect us from harm when things turn bad on the water...perhaps it''s because we call ourselves "sailors," people who in pursuit of adventure willing challenge ourselves against that mecurial thing called nature and sometimes the worst she can dish out. A little of this...a lot of that. Who knows why we have such strong bonds with our boats...but we do.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook