SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cat rig VS. Sloop
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008
Banned

runner is on a distinguished road
I bought a 1955 Y-flyer a few days back. It is in pretty bad shape with rot of some kind. I would almost say time has had it's way. Anyway, I got it mainly for the trailer, but the sails and mast came with it. Another person locally has a hull that needs repairs but is servicable maybe. I have to go look at it Monday. . The Puffer is for me to play with and learn on. The new mast is strong enough, but I keep bouncing between just changing the mast and sewing sails to fit the new rig, or changing it around to be a simple fishing relaxation type boat.
I have a confession! The speed thing may be getting to me! This picture of the Puffer with a 2 foot bowsprit and a full 9' foot on the main using a boat length boom or a touch better. Fairlead slides, a traveler, cunningham, and a boom vang seem to creep into the vision when I am looking in that direction. BFS may be contageous! When thinking the other way, a simple cat rig sounds nice for simple day trips of just a few hours where relaxing with a lure bumping behind the boat .
PS: the Y-flyer came with a fiberglass layup of the bottom hull of a Y-flyer where someone had started to build one sometime in the past. It was turned upside down protecting the old boat from the weather. Wait and see the questions when it is time for that project!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook