SailNet Community - View Single Post - International Waters....
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Boy HS, what a snide attack. Feeling a little Passive Aggressive are we?

I am quite well aware of the PCA and some of the other things you mention. And yes, I did know I WAS obligated for military service if drafted.
I know I can't SUE the federal govt. But what do you think the court of public opinion would be if my boat was damaged because they ordered me into an area I wanted to avoid b/c of weather. And yes, the only recourse I have is to call the Congress Critter and vent.

But let's just suppose for instance that the said boat in question was a foreign flagged ship that happened to be sailing through the big bad US Navy's sandbox. Now what? No, I don't expect them to cancel their fleet exercise. Yes I do think that they can find another corner of their sandbox to go play in. I know for fact they take up huge chunks of ocean when they "play". To continue to use their might and order foreign citizens around just perpetuates the APPEARANCE of arrogance to the rest of the world. Not saying they don't have the legal right, or that it isn't necessary (at times).
Just remember perceptions are oft times more important that fact. As we have witnessed time after time here in the good ole US of A.

Sorry I don't have more time to continue... Gotta run.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook