SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP!!! Boat Down!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004

MDDesperado is on a distinguished road
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

My boat was raised on Monday after four days under, and the engine''s been flushed and pickled, but not started.

According to the adjuster, he''s waiting for some preliminary repair estimates from a local company before deciding whether to see how much $$$ will be involved in just firing up the Perkins 4-108 and going from there.

I''m surprised just how little damage was apparent. I expected the worst, and was pleased that other then being very dirty and except for some sagging headliner in a couple of places, she looked pretty good. Wishing thinking, perhaps, but that was my initial reaction.

The adjuster seems to think $30K is perhaps the magic number: more than that she''ll be totalled, less they''ll go for repairs.

As long as the engine works and there''s no structural damage, I''d be all for fixing her.

If that happens, what repairs will be necessary? Will she have to be totally rewired, for example? What about all the instrumention? And engine add-ons such as alternator, pumps, starter, harness, etc.

AD/DC distribution panels? Lights, etc.

What kinds of things would you expect will need to be replaced? And are they ever repaired?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook