SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help costing a generator and lots of generator questions...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Help costing a generator and lots of generator questions...

We're looking at adding a small (4.5kw-6kw) generator to our Passport 40 (to add Air Conditioning). Northern Lights and NextGen seem to be the ones we're being steered towards. I've read mixed reviews on Panda's - many people say they've had no issue with them, many have said they have had significant issues.

Anyway, what goes into installing a generator? I'm assuming that, in addition to the cost of the generator itself, you have to add: Panel (on/off, temp, pressure, etc.), through hull for cooling water, fuel filter, exhaust separator (unless you want to listen to it splash all night), engine mounts, electrical connection to AC panel, some sort of source switch (battery, shore power, generator), soundproofing. Do AC generators come with DC alternators for battery charging? Or do you wire the AC side to your existing charger? Am I missing any parts?

Assuming I'm going to have someone else install the unit, how much should I expect to budget for pieces and parts and for installation? Right now I'm just trying to determine affordability.

Thanks!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook