SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help costing a generator and lots of generator questions...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Anyway, what goes into installing a generator? I'm assuming that, in addition to the cost of the generator itself, you have to add: Panel (on/off, temp, pressure, etc.), through hull for cooling water, fuel filter, exhaust separator (unless you want to listen to it splash all night), engine mounts, electrical connection to AC panel, some sort of source switch (battery, shore power, generator), soundproofing.
I'm also busy investigating fitting a genset and for my sins have "inherited" a Fischer Panda - whether that turns out to be wise or not will be discovered soon enough . . . .

In the mean-time here are some things that I've learned, they may answer some of your questions.
  • I'm going to T off from the thru-hull that feeds my main engine raw water so that I don't have to make another hole in my boat. The chances that you'll run the two together seem unlikely and obviates the need for a second strainer as well.
  • The exhaust is another issue and will need, I think, to be a new installation with it's own water lift and silencer, the good thing is that the hole for the exit can (and in my case will) be above the waterline.
  • The FP has it's own alternator and it is intended to have it's own start battery. I suppose this is intelligent because the genset will be most handy when you're out of amps on the house bank. I don't know how the other makers handle that.
  • Once again speaking for the FP, the box in which the genset is mounted is apparently virtually soundproof in it's own right. I'm hoping this is so and looking at the structure of the box, I reckon it will be. Again, can't speak for the others.
  • From what I've seen in the FP manual, the installation requires raw water, exhaust, a place to mount the remote control panel and electricity to start (external battery). It also requires an external fuel pump to supply diesel to the unit and an anti-syphon loop for the raw water. I believe the installation which I'll do myself is going to be easy, the toughest part being making space for it (hope I'm not deluding myself)
  • My one is not AC so can't comment on that.
I'm not clear on what you mean by an "exhaust separator". Can you elaborate please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook