SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help costing a generator and lots of generator questions...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I have the smallest FP installed. The housing provides soundproofing, but is by no means soundproof and in my case the genset is mounted aft in the steering enclosure and when it runs it can still be noticed throughout the boat; if I close the doors to the aft cabin(s) then the noise level goes way down, and if I run the air conditioning then it is no longer noticeable. The exhaust system exit above the waterline is a dry one to minimize exhaust noise and that works well.

I use my generator about 10-15 minutes a day - long enough to warm up the espresso machine and make 2 cups and I use that time to give the batteries a partial recharge so that the generator is working under a load. I also will recharge the handheld transmitter, notebook and other rechargeable battery powered stuff as well.

The Fischer Panda generates AC output only, this then goes to the battery charger (which results in further loss), but this is better than getting a DC only generator since that would have to go through an inverter in order to provide AC for air conditioning.

I've been researching the stirling engine WhisperGen, which is quiet but produces only DC current (and not much of it, at that) and warm water and heating. It uses less then 500ml diesel per hour, though. Since I'm in the tropics, the hot water is of little interest to me (the main engine produces sufficient hot water from just motoring out of an anchorage). If I were in colder waters then the WhisperGen might have been an option.

The plumbing and electrics involved in putting a generator in are pretty involved, even though I love to putter around I think I would choose a professional to do this work - plus it wouldn't invalidate the warranty on a GenSet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook