SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Transport - 30ft sailboat
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004

sailorman10 is on a distinguished road
Boat Transport - 30ft sailboat

I own a 30'' Helms that needed to be moved from Ft Worth Tx to Whitney Texas, about 100 miles south. Quotes to move the boat were around 3000 dollars and would not allow any time for bottom painting for maintenance in between. So, I built a trailer myself and had the boat hauled by crane and then had the painting/maintenance done. It wound up sitting on the trailer for one year. In the meantime, I took a new job in Florida and wound up moving the boat myself 1200 miles to St Petersburg, Florida. The total cost of the move including fuel both ways, permits, launching the boat by crane in florida, stepping the mast, and a couple hotel nights was less than 1000 dollars (minus the cost of the trailer which is now for sale). I used a dodge diesel 3/4 ton truck and had no worrys about the ability to pull the load. No issues in transit either. I was quite anxious during the first day of the move since I had never moved a load that large before. Once I knew everything worked, it was smooth sailing. The permits averaged 15 $ per state and can be arranged over the phone. It was a little hairy going thru Baton Rouge during rush hour and getting in a traffic jam on I 10 just over the Miss. River. My insurance company covered the move with no additional fees as well. Would I do it again? No problem.

Randy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook