SailNet Community - View Single Post - BFS Proponent Rescued at Sea
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Bit of hypocrisy on my part as I have no qualifications whatsoever but I tend to agree with Alex re people going offshore unprepared personally. If we were not allowed to clear out without an offshore skipper certificate a lot of these types of incidents could be avoided. If not a certificate as such then at least we should be required to show that we have done the required number of coastal passages.

I don't think the boat problems were necessarily avoidable, shite happens, but the fact that he didn't know what to do after his rudder broke was totally avoidable with the correct training.

Quite frankly all this waffle about the guy being a marine is just that except that maybe just maybe this supposedly highly trained professional should have thought that he also needed some level of training in this new pursuit.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook