SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transmission Engages while in neutral...?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004

kmeeks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kmeeks Send a message via Skype™ to kmeeks
Transmission Engages while in neutral...?

I''m observing a curious behavior with my diesel engine...

I pull the throttle out while in neutral and push it forward to set a higher RPM before starting my engine...this is just one of the quirks of my engine.

Sometimes it starts with the transmission engaged...but if it does so, after a few stop/starts - I can get it to start and stay in neutral.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what might be going on?

I''ve directly observed that when I pull the throttle out and push it forward - the linkage to the engine is not moving to engage the transmission...so I suspect something is occuring within the transmission itself.

While reading an older engine maintenance manual (for a smaller Volvo Penta) - I came across a section that talks about unscrewing a bolt and packing some grease into an area...and then subsequently tightening this bolt down after each run of the engine until it needs to be repacked. I''m not sure if my engine has such a bolt...I''ve looked - but didn''t see anything that matched my engine. Mine is a 16 hp. 2 cylinder Volvo Penta.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook