SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising with Children
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady5 View Post
Sailhog, Can you tell me a little more about your boat?
Have you been happy with it or what would you like different?
Brady,
Sorry for the tardy response... I just saw your question.

Our boat is a 1980 Catalina 30 tall rig. It's perfect for our family (wife and two daughters, ages 9 and 7) for a few days. After that, it starts to feel a little tight. In any case, we sail up and down the coast of South Carolina and on the ICW, and I can't even begin to tell what a wonderful experience it has been. The boat is designed for what we use it for: coastal cruising, and we never use it for anything else. We've sailed in heavier weather on the ICW, but never out on the open Atlantic.

One thing to bear in mind when sailing with children is that you have to plan everything out, and then explain it to everyone. If you're going to come about, you need to tell the kids so that their stack of dominoes or Legos doesn't go flying across the cabin. Also, you need to make sure that you never have to much sail up. When I'm at the helm, I always keep the mainsheet in my hand in the event that I need to dump some air.

Good luck to you. Do whatever you need to do to get your boat. Pull the plug on a hopsitalized great uncle if you need to. Git 'er done...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook