SailNet Community - View Single Post - Four Days of Family Cruising on the Solent
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
That Rival 34 is getting used, I see. Nice work, Jim. Do you kids crew much on passage yet?
Hi, Valiente

Your comment that "the boat is getting used" is what I consider the best compliment anyone could give a boat owner. To me, value is directly related to use, and nothing else.

On passage, we're happy if the kids simply don't fight and mutiny. On the six hour passage, they helped launch, played in the main cabin, slept, kept watch on deck, played in the cockpit, got bored, ate cookies when we weren't watching, etc.

We did a half hour of docking practice with the whole family before we even left the dock. My daughter now does the roving fender on the foredeck, my son steps off at landing with the bow line, and my wife has the stern and breast line to secure. I taught them the 0800 method I learned from a Yachtmaster a few weeks ago-- just teach the crew to do a 0 around the cleat, and then an 8, and then two more 0s.

If a line is too long, do the first 0 and then sweat the line, pulling straight up against the cleat, not directly trying to pull the nine ton boat sideways. This change was a huge help to the kids in terms of how they help land the boat, and my son likes the challenge of getting the 0 on the forward cleat as fast as possible.

The greatest achievement of the weekend was with our daughter, who argued convincing that we spend a fourth night at the Folly Inn, knowing she would get to row the dinghy by herself for the first time. This is the same girl who generally says "I won't go!" when we're planning a sailing weekend. "It's too boring! It's scary!" Anyway, it's tough work for us, but then generally she may enjoy the trip more than any of us. It's harder here, where we've had unexpected F8s to get home through, but this four days was perfect for her. "I never got scared once," she said proudly, so I think we made some major progress (the dinghy completely changed her experience as well).

She also said, "On Sunday, it began to make sense to me how we might live on the boat," which is really nice to hear.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook