SailNet Community - View Single Post - butyl tape
Thread: butyl tape
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I got curious after Main Sail's earlier piece on butyl tape, so I got some from the online RV place and used it when rebedding locker hinges. Impressively sticky stuff.

Considering that it seems to stay sticky for a very long time--I think MS showed something that had remained pliable and sticky for over a decade?--and seems easier to work with than a caulk gun full of Sikaflex, I'd like know what its limitations are, if any. Is butyl tape suitable for all above-waterline hardware rebedding jobs? Say for stanchions, clutches, etc?
I've used it on every type of mechanically fastened devices that you can think of and it works great.

Limitations include feathering a joint and smoothing over the bead. I can't think of any use on deck where I would not use it. As i said 80% of my boat has yet to need re-bedding. My genny tracks for example were done at the factory with butyl nearly 30 years ago and they are still bone dry with not even one drip..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook