SailNet Community - View Single Post - dinghy outboard: Honda 2.0HP vs Mercury 3.5HP
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have the Honda 2 HP, and you can get a different clutch...still no neutral, but a proper throttle arm.

2 HP is indeed light for a 11 foot inflatable, but I took a different tack and got two tenders, a 55 lb. 10 foot Portabote and an 88 lb. 10 foot nesting dinghy that tracks a lot better than an inflatable or even a RIB.

I got it because, like you, I'm not in a hurry. I have found, however, that it will push me, my wife and my kid at five knots. I have found that it will push me into 15-20 knots on the nose and two-three foot waves at three point five knots. The integral tank's range at full power in such conditions is about 50 minutes. Yeah, I've been testing it!

My wife can "one arm it" out of the forepeak, where it is clamped to a piece of wood through-bolted to the workbench. As my wife is quite compact, if fearless (she sailed with Alex under his vast cruising spi!), my rationale might not be yours, but I found the light weight, the mechanical simplicity and the air cooled aspect won me over the slight extra "oomph" of 1.5 extra HP but 60% extra weight, plus the need to flush the salt out.

It's a very parsimonious engine. A single one-gallon jug is good for four fill-ups, and gives you about 3.5 hours run time at full throttle. So that's about 17.5 NM/gallon.

It sounds like an angry bag of bees. I like it. It does the same thing every Honda I've owned does: you have to pull once with full choke on cooler days, then put the choke to half, and give her a single yank. They start every time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook