SailNet Community - View Single Post - Four Days of Family Cruising on the Solent
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Jim, consider a Portabote. They fold down to wakeboard size and can be lashed to the lifelines. The seats and the oars are a pain to stow, but they are light and can conceivably go down a cockpit locker right into the "dead zone" at the transom.

They row well and are dry. If you want a motor, you can stash a Honda 2 HP four-stroke (28 lbs) anywhere and I've had that combo out in near 20 knots...wobbly but serviceable and a good three point five knots into the waves and wind. Seats four.
We took a close look at them at the Southampton Boat Show, but our boat is pretty small to have something like a Portabote lashed to the lifelines. I like the open decks, as much as possible, but the small, flat package they make is really amazing.

The UK magazine Practical Boat Owner did a review of four folding kayaks, some of which can fold down into one or two duffle bags and be stored below. They are expensive, but I like the below decks idea, and the option to go on early morning explores up inlets and the like.

Example:

Feathercraft Folding Kayaks - Compare Features

The magazine review said you could rationalize the price if compared to a dinghy and outboard motor, gas, etc...

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook