SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Bruce (claw) anchor to buy?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANCORALATINA View Post
The profile of the « mean » sailor who is participating to this thread is VERY CONSERVATIVE, ...Very few forumnites are considering « New gen » Anchors.
Perhaps. But I'm not in that category. And we are in the market for a new anchor. (However, this is a very price-sensitive thing.)

Quote:
As Manufacturers are NOT WELCOME to talk about their products and to explain why they have developed a new product and which characteristics are better than the ones of the competition, ...
It's not so much you aren't welcome, per se, but more that you aren't allowed to advertise, and SailNet perhaps has a very strict definition of what constitutes "advertising."

I understand SailNet's point. And where do you draw the line? OTOH: If answering questions In The Wrong Way can easily draw a rebuke, esp. if a representative isn't paying for the privilege, I can see how such people would simply refrain, leaving people like me to seek answers elsewhere. This is the "counter-productiveness" to which I earlier referred.

In the same vein: I don't know what questions I can ask a manufacturer's representative about their product that might result in an answer that'll get them censored or banned. Not being one who pays all that much attention to banner adverts anywhere, that would include here (sorry), I have no idea whom somebody like our erstwhile correspondent here might offend by citing comparisons I might request. So, all-in-all, I'll simply forgo the exercise. All of this is most-definitely not by way of complaint, but, merely, as I had intended in my earlier comments, an observation.

I don't know as there's an easy answer.

Quote:
...the forum will always stay VERY CONSERVATIVE, talking endlessly about the same « old generation » products.
That is not at all an accurate portrayal of SailNet's membership.

Quote:
An Outstanding product will advertise by itself. Wait and then you could learn more about « new products » => on other nautical forums !!!
I may be the odd man out in this respect: But I hang out only here for my on-line sailing community fix.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook