SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinettes vs Settees
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
My Grampian 26 had a tiny little dinette that sat two in comfort, four in agony. It had to be perched up on a different level than the sole to make it work. Two settee's would have been better.
My Hunter 31 had the U shaped dinette that about 6% of them came with. It was great as a drop down bed, scooting around the U to the back side (hull ward) sitting position was painful because the table didn't come out easy.
That's with a 11 foot beam - and I think beam makes all the difference is whether or not a dinette works.
My Gemini salon is essentially totally the dinette. It works because the table is a triple folder and gets out of the way but still the forward most (bottom of the U) is not reachable unless you go in and sit before the table gets loaded. Makes for useful storage, and when we have large crowds it comes in handy.

Drawings and measurements are one thing, but don't say diddly for comfort and useability. Take the time to make card board cut outs, or even plywood mock ups and give them a real fit test prior to committing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook