SailNet Community - View Single Post - Four Days of Family Cruising on the Solent
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
She'll just take over the ship when everyone else is too seasick to contest her coup d'etat.

As for good waterproof digital cameras, I'd highly recommend the Olympus SW Stylus series of cameras. The 1050SW is less than $300 and 10.1 MP and waterproof to 33 ft. They also make 7 and 8 MP versions.

Also, Pentax's Optio series is quite good, but not quite as waterproof as the Olympus. Main advantage of the Pentax is that they use SD where the Olympus use a semi-proprietary XD memory card. Any questions, let me know.

P.S. I'd second the Portabote recommendation.
The coup d'etat is exactly what I'm expecting...

Thanks for the camera recommendations. The Olympus SW Stylus 850 SW looks like a very good choice for her:

I'm also wondering if it isn't time to have a DSLR. I've been using digital point and shoots for years, but I'd like to have a better lens again. The Nikon D90 is making a big splash now, but it would be hard to justify the expense. I wondering if a D40 or D60 would be a better starting point, if the lenses could be used with a better body in the future. Or is Olympus also the better choice in DSLRs as well?

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook