SailNet Community - View Single Post - Surveyor suggestion in Lower Michigan...anyone?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004

Fishboat is on a distinguished road
Surveyor suggestion in Lower Michigan...anyone?

Don,

regarding Au Gres...does Ron Atwater ring a bell? He''s just a name I''ve located & happens to live in Au Gres.

I should have mentioned in my initial post that I''m familiar with the NAMS, SAMS, & USSA organizations & their locator lists. Even with a long list of names, without someone saying...."yah, he''s very good" it''s pretty much a shot in the dark. Even getting a sample survey from the guy, and the potential surveyors I''ve talked to typically will not give you one, doesn''t help that much. I suggested Greg Group in the other survey search post (Ohio). I''d hire him in a minute, but his travel time would kill me.

I''ve hired three surveyors over the years. I''ve learned that survey quality is highly variable. One was very average & probably not worth much more than what I can do...though his fee was surely right up there. The second one seemed to be OK, but the boat was in such good condition there wasn''t much to discuss. The third was excellent. He was an old gent from Norway originally. 76 years old and his work was all one could ask for. I''d hire him today, but he lives in New Foundland.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook