SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solid Forestay
Thread: Solid Forestay
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Those pictures (and logo) are identical to the one I had in mind that I've seen before... as you say, no internal wire forestay.

Here's a link -http://rigrite.com/furling/stearn/stearn.html

EDIT: the link isn't pasting in clean - but that's the correct URL - I think the product highlighting on "Furling" is messing things up.

I think it's a Stearns Twin-Stay ONE, probably the first twin groove foil produced. Check the link, there's a cross sectional drawing and description a little ways down the page. The site says that parts are still available.

However with its forward facing groove that's a difficult foil to use compared to newer versions. I'd replace your forestay with wire and get a Tuff Luff or similar foil to install over it. This would be a far more conventional setup today.

Shipping such a long piece (unlike new foils which either roll up or come in sections) would add significantly to the cost.

Good Luck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-19-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook