SailNet Community - View Single Post - PNW winters
Thread: PNW winters
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
PNW winters

I have dreamed of cruising the Pacific Northwest ever since I got into sailing, some 13 years ago. I felt just chartering(in 'Gods Country') for a week could in no way do the area any justice. Now that I (and the Admiral) have retired, I've compromised buying a full blown "cruiser" by buying a lightly used 1996 25' Hake Seaward trailer sailer with this intention. Although the timing is a little off , I'm champing at the bit but will probably have to wait for the spring season to realize the dream. RATS!

The boat is in the water at a private condo dock on the Southwest corner of Lake Washington.(just a little south of Mercer Island's tip, on the West shore of the lake). The PO is paying $225 a mo. (good price?)and it looks like the slip is well protected(Google Earth) in all but winds from the E-NE. I think it a good location to base out of. Any thoughts?

My questions: 1) Given winter conditions of this area, should I leave the boat in the water slipped or put the boat on it's trailer (hopefully with mast up, sans sails) at a marina for storage until the spring sailing season?
2) Is this an area that experiences high wind storms, and should I winterize the boat and diesel. (10 hp Yanmar with raw water cooling)?
3) If I need to pull the boat, is there a recommended marina at the south end of the lake, or near the LW canal exit into Puget Sound? (looking for somewhere close to the dock, only for convenience)
4) I would also like to pull the sails for cleaning and possible repair for the upcoming season, so if there is a recommended loft in the area, I'd appreciate that info as well.
5&6) Looking past the boat preparation, what are some good PNW cruising guides for the area? Am I going to run into current problems given my massive 10 hp diesel?
7) Finally, is cruising to say... Albert Bay/Knight Inlet doable or foolhardy in a 25' boat once prepared?
I've a hundred more, but.....
We are going to be in Seattle Wednesday to finalize everything and to do what's necessary to secure the boat, so some 'heads up' would be much appreciated.....Thanks, Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook