SailNet Community - View Single Post - PNW winters
Thread: PNW winters
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Hi Bob, Welcome to Sailnet and the PNW. I am not familiar with your boat, but cruising in the Puget Sound/BC area should be doable if you keep a close watch on the weather and limit your cruising to the better months (May - Sept with July and Aug. the best). I bought a bunch of charts from a couple that had been to Alaska several times and the Q. Chars. in a 30' so it can be done. We normally have either too little wind, or too much in summer so you will use the engine, but 10hp in a 25' should move you at hull speed so you'll be OK. You have to pay attention to the currents, especially if you are going through any rapids which can ordinarily only be done at slack. I would recommend Waggonners cruising guide and getting current guides for both WA and BC. Armchair Sailor in Seattle has everything, and more, that you will need. I have to disagree with Jody on the winterizing, we can get temps in the teens for a week or more at a time in Seattle/Bellevue and single digits once in a great while so I would rather be safe than sorry. We also get about 2-4 wind storms each winter with gusts 50-60, so make sure you have good stout lines and chafe protection. That is a pretty protected area you are in, we have a slip across the lake from you on the eastside. The storms usually are from the SW with the cold blasts from Canada from the N to NE. The only disadvantage to where you are located is the three hour trip to get in/out of the locks which is almost all motoring and bridges to open,( you might be low enough to scoot under all but the Fremont) but it is nice to be in fresh water to clean the bottom. Once you are in the salt it's about 60NM to the San Juans which if you use a big tidal change to your advantage can be done in one day, but there are lot's of places to spend the night if you aren't in a hurry. You might decide to look for a slip in Anacortes or Bellingham so you are only 10-12NM from the islands, slips are cheaper too.

You're going to love it here, one lifetime isn't long enough to explore everywhere.

Hope to see you out there, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook