SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ideal boat size for crewed charter?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008

mtschindler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
mts...two issues occur to me...but I do think you have the size right and the need for equalized guest accomodations.
1. You will need a captains license and appropriate commercial insurance. In Europe you may face a whole bunch more requirements.
2. I don't think you will be allowed to set up a charter business easily in Europe unless you are a Euro citizen. You will have to leave the EU personally due to the Schengen treaty after 90 days and stay OUT for 90 days... and the boat will need to go to a non EU country every 18 months.
As the luck may have it I've dual citizenship and one of them is EU.
I did look more into chartering in Europe and as you said there is a lot of red tape with that - in particular in Greece. Oh well - plan B.
For now I'm just going to try to sail as much as I can. I'm getting all my experience verified.
One question - I used to own a small Irwin when I lived in Florida. I don't have any documentation for that - and when I called the State of Florida they said that they just now are moving some recent records to computers, but since Florida doesn't charge personal property tax on the boat they don't have any record or me owning a boat - who would have that? I've no clue what the registration was.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook