SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Project Boat
Thread: My Project Boat
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on your new purchase - looking forward to seeing the project progress.

I empathise with your need to keep to a budget. I am in the same position and offer the following advice based on my own experience.

Keep trawling the Internet. I have saved a lot of money by finding special offers or reduced price items and now have a list of suppliers on my Favorites that I use from time to time.

Don't forget Ebay. There is a wealth of marine stuff out there and some of it to be got for a real bargain. You just have to de discriminating and go for well-known brand names if possible.

There are reputable suppliers of used items out there, too. You wouldn't want to buy crucial performance items this way, but other bits and pieces may be fine.

If you have local suppliers, check them out first. They may be able to do a good deal. We have a supplier in Annapolis who often comes up trumps in this respect.

Finally, keep your eyes open for unexpected sources. Our local WalMart has an aisle of assorted (and I do mean assorted!) marine items (dock lines, fenders, electrical parts etc) at very reasonable prices.

Good luck and keep asking them questions!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook