SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Inspection Trip Tips
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I'm going to make a generalized no, I'm not looking for business from anybody statement.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...tml#post237459

All of the above are VERY good policies and procedures.
If EVERYONE that was looking at a hole in the water to throw money into followed the advise above, the world would be a better place and we'd have pretty sunsets too.

Alas,
Thats not the case.
I find MANY potential owners of both sail and powerboats looking at some real junk. Unsafe, unseaworthy POS's that had they followed even some of the advise posted above, they would have never laid out cash, or in some cases, "broke the dream".

I'm finding people have purchased, without survey in one case, a 30 ft SeaRay that had the motor mount stringers coming apart in my hand.

Another party bought a 38ft Trojan where the hull/deck joint was repaired with automotive bondo. (about a 6 foot chunk) They paid top dollar too... Why? as per the new owner "its a Trojan!"

I see horror stories as I come in after the fact for an insurance survey, where there is a lot of "pressure" (pffft, like that matters to me) to "write it nice".
Needless to say, that doesn't happen. Not with me.
And, its getting worse, not better. The economy is forcing SOME people to to put the boat up for sale, most times after sitting idle for some time, as we all know its the deathnell of any watercraft.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 10-21-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook