SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30
Thread: Cape Dory 30
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Cape Dory 30

Other than subjective items like excruciatingly poor performance across the board, and a tendancy to pitch, both aggrevated by the ketch rig (which makes absolutely no sense on a boat this small), and the cramped, dark interior, these are Okay boats.

I don''t find these boats do have a comfortable motion. While their motion is fairly slow, these boats have a tendancy to pitch and roll through wider angles than I find comfortable.

I would think that a ketch rigged version of a Cape Dory would be very difficult to resell. Boats like the Cape Dory 30 have a limited market due to a fair amount of market resistance because of their poor performance. I would think that a ketch version would be appealing to such a small subset (people who really have no concern for sailing ability or accomodations but want a shippy looking small boat) of that already tiny market share that a Cape Dory 30 would it on the market for a very long time looking for that one particular buyer unless dumped at a fire sale price.

And, yes,I know that I am going to get stoned for heresy by the Cape Dory and Ketch Rig fan clubs.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook