SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30
Thread: Cape Dory 30
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 02-27-2004
Silmaril

Cape Dory 30

The Cape Dory is a pretty boat to look at. Very "Nautical", sort of a poster child for "This Old Boat". But I have to agree with Jeff, while a dandy at the dock, it would be a nightmare to do any serious sailing on one.

You would be better served with a much more modern interpretation of the "Pocket Cruiser". If you can go with a tiller, take a look at the J-30. While you instantly think "Racer" with any J-boat, these are really nice all round boats. With their fractional rig, smaller head sails, they are easy to handle short handed. They have a nice interior and can be had in the mid-$20k range. And they would sail circles around the Cape Dory, maybe even backwards, in every type of condition.

You should also take a look at the S2 9.1, the G&S design. Also a nicely turned out boat that is lightyears ahead of the Cape Dory design.

And also take a look at the Tartan 3000 (not the 30) a nice modern design that is well suited to what you are looking to do.

Any of those boats would also have a better "market" when it comes time to sell.

If you are looking for a pretty boat, something to polish and varnish and have cocktails on at the dock, the Cape Dory would make a nice conversation piece. But if you want a boat that will sail nicely on all points of sail, get you there and back with little fuss or bother, take a look at the three I mentioned.

I have pretty thick skin, so I can endure the slings and arrows of the "traditional" set also.

Good luck in your search!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome