SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30
Thread: Cape Dory 30
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Cape Dory 30

BTW, just so you don''t think that I''m not familiar with the "Type" of boat the Cape Dory is, before he passed away, my father had an International 500 sloop. You would almost think the Cape Dory folks used one as the "plug" for the Cape Dory 30.

It was one of the few made of fiberglass in ''63. He sold his C&C 35 when he decided that he no longer wanted to cruise anywhere, and just wanted a boat to "Get out on the water" with.

Slow to maneuver, with a deep, slow pitching motion, "Encore" went through the waves, not over them. She was a wet boat in anything over 10 - 15 kts. Power reaching in calm seas and 15 - 18 kts she could barely manage 5.5 kts. Her Atomic 4 beat the water and shoved her along at maybe 5 kts, wide open. I think she tipped the scales at something like 12,000lbs.

But ohhhhh she was pretty, with even longer overhangs than the Cape Dory. Wonderful warm mahogony interior, lots of brass to polish and teak to varnish. A boat that just oooozed "Nautical". A lovely Eagles head carved into her tiller. Slept four, but the two in the Vee had no headroom to speak of.

She was perfect for the man who didn''t want to go anywhere, but just get out. My father wasn''t a speed deamon later in life, heck he drove a Mercedes 240D for cryin out load.

For daysails with family and freinds, the occasional overnight at the Thimbles (about 10 miles from Branford) coupled with just the right amount of "stuff" to keep him occupied at the dock, "Encore" was the perfect boat for my dad.

But I keep my boat at the same marina, and I can make it to Block Island in one day. Where it would have taken him 2 or even 3 days, if he ever ventured that far. Different horses for different courses, as they say.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook