SailNet Community - View Single Post - Container Boat- Far Harbor 39
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Container Boat- Far Harbor 39

Thought those of you who have not seen this might be interested. These guys pulled into the marina today in their 7.5' wide 39 foot Perry designed boat that is designed to fit inside a shipping container so you can truck it or ship it anywhere in the world you want to sail...without having to cross an ocean. I was invited aboard for a tour and I must say that I was most impressed with the concept AND the execution. It has an inside steering station and wheel with a cockpit tiller so you can stay protected or get out and sail.
This is a weird looking boat to anyone with a traditional sense of proportion...but it sails well, motors well and the interior is perfect for two. Maybe two guests would be ok for a few days. But this is couples boat.The idea of paying $7500 and having your boat in Greece or Aussie land in a couple of weeks and cruising for as long as you like has a lot of appeal. At $250k sailaway price, I don't think it is unreasonable either. What do you all think of the idea? By the way...the boat and people on the web link are the boat and folks at our dock. Impressive sailors!
CONTAINER YACHTS