SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

HELP?!?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
does anybody have any suggestions for a cartoppable 0-15 foot boat such as the escape that might be suitable for intermediate sailors on Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod, Massachusetts? thanks a lot, please reply.
m<

#4 ·
It depends on what you want to do. Lasers are the best sailors of the bunch and can be raced at a wide range of skill levels right up to the Olympics. Sunfish are fun to sail and are pretty versatile. You can race them one-design as well. I have no use for the Escapes which are a product of marketing hype with little substance in my book.

Jeff

#6 ·
Any car-top boat will be cramped with 2 adults and 1 kid. You might want to look for a 16 to 18 foot trailerable boat instead. some quick thoughts are the Interlakes, Flying Scots, Bucanneers, Mutineers, Rebels, etc. you should be able to find some of these used for a decent price.

#7 ·
Lasers and sunfish are both 14''. Lasers are faster but less stable than sunfish, not that sunfish are very stable either. Sunfish are a little more forgiving. Kids can climb around on the sunfish more easily. Capsize, while not inevitable, happens sometimes in either boat. Hiking is more common and/or necessary with the laser.Righting either boat after capsizing is easy, but practice first, deliberately. That way, when it happens "all of a sudden", it won''t be a problem. Cockpit size in both boats is the same,but the sunfish cockpit may be "deeper". You can also get "beach wheels" for either boat, and walk it down to the beach and the water. They weigh about the same, and you''ll need 2 people to get it on/off the car.I sail in Lewis Bay. Before July, I wear a wetsuit if I''m taking out my sunfish. Forget the Escape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.