SailNet Community - View Single Post - Container Boat- Far Harbor 39
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
You know, I'm going to be the naysayer I guess.

There are a lot of things that could be said about the proportions of the vessel and rig, particularly the limited mast height due to container length.

But setting all that aside, when I first read about this concept, my initial thought was "Why not charter?" For the shipping costs alone, not to mention the capital costs, you could enjoy fine yachts all over the world from respected charter fleets. Without any of the normal aggravations associated with ownership, not to mention the increased hassle of commissioning/packing/unpacking/recommissioning the boat in foreign parts.

And if you're a cruiser/live-aboard, what do you do while your boat is in transit? Plus, the air fare costs.

I give credit to the designer for fulfilling the design brief, apparently quite well. And I'm sure there are a few sailors out there whom this concept will appeal to. But I do not foresee large volume production or great commercial success. Here's hoping I'm wrong!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook