SailNet Community - View Single Post - Container Boat- Far Harbor 39
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008

mstern is on a distinguished road
I was on one of the first container yacht hulls at a boat show two or three years ago, and was impressed with the practicality of the design, if not its looks. The owner of this particular hull had multiplied the oddness factor even more by having two small fish fighting chairs installed aft of the cockpit. To me, the hull looks like the box the boat came in.

Its definitely a small niche market. My guess is that those who can afford to ship a boat all over the world and cruise long enough to make it worthwhile can afford and would want a bigger, more comfortable boat than this. Those who can't quite afford that are probably better served by having a boat at home that isn't hampered by the design compromises necessary to make the boat fit in a container, and by chartering in remote locations. Oh well, as we all know, choosing a boat is rarely a rational decision.

As an aside, at the boat show were I saw the container yacht, one of the bigger Hylas yachts was moored nearby, and Dick Hylas was aboard. I asked him what he thought of his neighbor, and he said something to the effect "I like Bob Perry, but I don't know what he was thinking when he designed that..."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook