SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 30
Thread: Cape Dory 30
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2004

DirtManly is on a distinguished road
Cape Dory 30

Gentlemen, I appreciate your sharing the wisdom of your experience with me and I certainly hope no one stones you for heresy. I knew when I started looking that the Cape Dory''s weren''t very fast boats. This one is already below fire sale pricing and the boat in pretty good shape. It has a newer Yanmar diesel that has less than 100 hours on it and it also has very resent sails, standing rigging, and running rigging. I can pick this boat up for less than half of low book value. I''m thinking that I should be able to own this boat for four or five years with it only costing the typical yearly maintainence costs. So I think I could come out ok on the financial aspect of it. The only thing that concerns me at this point is the accessive pitch and roll you mentioned. I thought that Cape Dory''s had an easy motion. I have interviewed several CD owners (two of which were 30 K owners)and got that same response from all. We sail an inland lake were the winds are usually around 5-12 with occasional days at 25-30. I think that while the boat is going to closely resmeble a slugs pace with 5-12, it motion shouldn''t be that bad in lighter air. When it''s blowing 25-30 it will only be myself and my boy''s anyway. The thing that''s so hard to walk away from is this boat looks good. It seems very hard to find a boat that looks this good, has good build quality, resonably good resale value and sails well. I think i have found the first three and the compromise comes from the latter.
Thanks again
dirt
BTW Silmaril, I still have very fond memories of my 240D. We drove it to a little over 300k and still hate that i got rid of it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook