SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fire damage to my bowsprit!
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004

chopsy is on a distinguished road
Fire damage to my bowsprit!

Thanks for the suggestions, WOW! that is a load off my mind. I think I can do that work. Will the new epoxy (in leftover alternating kerfs) bond well to the just cured epoxy (initial alternating kerfs) in the joint without a problem? What is a reasonable time to wait before doing the leftover remaining kerfs? Also, would a hand-circular saw with very good blade and rip fence make suitable cuts for the kerfs?

As for a stainless bowsprit and aluminum masts .....uh .....uh .... what is aluminum? I don''t think there is ANY on my boat....oh wait, Yes I have an old can of Grain Belt beer that nobody will drink.

pathetic jokes aside, Aluminum would be a sensible solution (sensible...not a word I usually use). I couldn''t even guess the price of a new one one. I suspect it is equal to or more what it would cost me to build a new spruce one, provided I was able to retain all of my old fixtures and could find the wood. Perhaps I could find a reasonable used one? I do truly perfer the wood.

Thanks all for the clever repair advice. I will contact you for more when the project begins.

Paul G
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook