SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard for Ranger 22
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lans0012 View Post
Hey gang,

Thank you for all of your previous responses. I thought I'd send an update to the quest for a better motor, and for any other ranger 22 owner out there. I bought a brand new Nissan 6 hp with a 25" shaft. It's awesome, quiet, sticks way down in the water and I couldn't be happier. In case I get serious about racing I kept the 3.5 2stroke that I had. The 6hp 4stroke is 30 pounds heavier than the 3.5 2strk and much harder to pull up and down on my bracket because of the raked transom, but I just leave it all the way down and tilt the motor all the way up and it is plenty far out of the water. I was in a nasty chop on Tampa bay the other day and my prop didn't ventilate once. Compared to every time a wave passed with the old 20" shaft. Price tag $1399 plus tax. 3 year warranty and also charges the battery. I leave the tank in the cockpit, no big deal.
Glad to hear you found a motor that will work for you.

BTW my friend's ranger 22 that I crew on won 1st place in our fleet for the series, holding off a pair of J-24's. Bill bought a new mainsail in time for the last 2 race weekends, and we started cleaning up the J's even though one of the J-24's had a new main and jib.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook