SailNet Community - View Single Post - boat sitting without bulkheads deformed?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
If it is deformed, getting it straight again may be a chore. Possibly floating it for a few months with some bracing pushing the hull back out where it's pushed in? I disagree with Cam about the fiberglass not taking a permanent set. I've seen boats that had to be pushed out from the inside and a stiffener added to keep the hull pushed out.
Yes it certainly can deform, and it may take more than months to return to it's 'natural' state. A friend of mine had a Grampian 34 stored for just 1 winter in a yard with a misplaced jack stand. He commented the the hull still wasn't fair 10 years later! He did get some $$$ from the yard, and didn't really care about the slight deformation but it serves as a testament to what can happen.

Let here float for a while, take measurements every month or two and see if anything changes. Find out if you can if the missing bulkheads are required or not... If you don't notice and changes tab in some bulkheads. If they are put under tension later everything should be just fine if the glasswork bonded correctly. If it fails you did it wrong and need to redo it anyway so get cutting!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook