SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Covers?
Thread: Winter Covers?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Clearly you have not experienced a North East winter with an uncovered boat.. Condensation is the enemy and you need to be covered up here! Trust me you don't want three feet of snow sitting directly on the deck..
Why would anyone say something like that implying I don't know what I'm talking about?
I've lived in New England for 61 years (so far), most of which as a boater, so I am not "clear" how I can not "clearly" have any experience... Perhaps you can see the snow in the picture?

Back to the issue -

the boom tent shown has a connector to cover the deck fwd but with the dinghy there, the surface area remaining is negligible and in 40+ years (with various boats), so far, so good... no damage from condensation or anything else and, in this case, the deck (non skid) is Awlgrip, as is the topside, so I am particularly keen on proper covering.

As a practical matter, it is quite difficult to completely insulate a boat from moisture as thoroughly enclosing it so as to preclude ventilation only serves to promote condensation, both within the boat as well as it's exterior. The Awlgrip serves to complicate the equation as it is essential it has ventilation space.

Last edited by k1vsk; 10-25-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook