SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Covers?
Thread: Winter Covers?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeAnnBristol View Post
Is anyone able to post photos of their homemade pvc or emt structures? I'm planning to design and construct something along those lines and cover it with heavy duty tarps. Advise on good or bad online tarp vendors is also welcome.

Thanks
I don't doubt that you can find tarps on-line but in most areas you'll find someone selling them inexpensively. In my case, there's a discount tool outlet nearby that also serves as "tarp and glove world". As mentioned above, swimming pool companies will be able to tell you where to get large sized visqueen although I think a tarp will work better. A local roofer would be able to provide you with information on where to get large tarps.

There were photos of someone's emt structure here last year...he was a tube bending whiz! I assume you've seen my earlier link to how to build a pvc structure. There's no reason that structure has to be mounted on deck either; you could build the base frame work on the ground.

Be sure to buy a pvc tubing cutter of the ratcheting scissors type...it'll make things go inestimably faster. And label the various tubes and fittings....no, you won't remember where they go a year from now. (g)

You might also want to have a grommet making kit on hand; that way you can add holes to your tarp where they're needed. You can get quite a few years out of a tarp if it's not flapping around.

Last edited by sailaway21; 10-26-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook